Monday, April 6, 2009

Welcome

Hey whoever decides to actually read this

I've decided to start a blog on the Phillies this season. As many know, I live and die with this team and I could talk about them for days, so I figured I might as well put all of that talking down somewhere. This started as an idea with Steve Pickering last year. I mentioned something about doing a running diary of random games throughout the season, but I figured Steve would be the only person who would actually find them funny or entertaining. He told me that I should do a blog, and I told him he was an idiot and I could just email him things I wanted to say about the Phillies. Touché, Steve.

If you don't already know, I'll give some background on my Phillies experience. I've been a Phillies fan for a while, and it wasn't really until about 3 years ago or so that I got really into the team. Since that time, though, my main priority in the summer is following the Phils. Last year I went to 14 regular season games and was lucky enough to get tickets for Game 5 of the World Series. I went to the first 5 1/2 innings, went home in the rain, then returned for the final 3 to witness my Phillies win the first Philadelphia championship in 100 seasons. This day also just happened to be my 21st birthday where I partook in the first beer I had ever consumed in my life. That beer was bought by my dad and enjoyed inside the confines of Citizens Bank Park just hours before the Phillies clinched the World Series title. CBS found my story interesting enough to interview good old Paul Koehler and I on live TV after the game.

A special thanks to the people I was able to share the experience with: my dad, Matt (part 1), Zack (part 2), Bean, Kelsey, Shane and Mr. Tobin, Costello and his brother, short fat security guard, random girl next to me whose name I forget, every person I called after the game, and the guy who returned Zack's cell phone. Sorry if I missed you, you were definitely important.

The title of the blog comes from our trip to the game where we (and by we, I mostly mean me) kept talking about how no one would know what to do if we won. I wouldn't shut up about the fact that there was "no precedent," and the Phillies winning was, essentially, "unprecedented." Kelsey can definitely vouch for that. I'm annoying.

This season is just as unprecedented, because how will Philadelphia handle actually being champions? No matter what happens, it will be a fun ride and I will try to update this thing basically every day because, well . . . what else am I doing right now?

5 comments:

  1. I love it. Thank you for being there and I def agree our experience would not be the same without the short fat security guard. Also shout out to section 427 where the magic happened. Can I just take a second to comment on the fact that we are struggling to get tickets to the games we normally go to. All I want to know is where were these fans when we sucked? Also I totally agree with your idea for the batting order you read my mind. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. were going to the ballgame

    ReplyDelete
  3. detweiler. she went down to the game with us

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a night I will never forget!! To share that event with you and have it captured by Eyewitness News was just icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete