Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Game 2

How is our lineup getting shut out at home? I am not one to talk about The Cit (Citizens Bank Park from now on) being a hitter's park, but the Braves don't seem to have a problem hitting in it. I assume this is just a slow start because a lot of our guys didn't get a lot of at bats in Spring Training. I will never complain about Jamie Moyer so I'm not worried about that. Once again, 4 runs from our pitching staff should be good enough for us to win a game. Some observations from the game:

- Wheels wasted no time getting in his first error debate of the season. Top of the first inning a ball goes under Utley's glove and already Wheels is asking whether or not it should be an error. You know what I always say... "I like Wheels." But this does get very old very fast with me. You're in the major leagues. Make the play. It's an error.
- Who is Skip "Memory Lane" Clayton? The Harry wished him a happy really old birthday and said he was celebrating it in Sellersville. Are there really people from Sellersville getting recognized during a Phillies game that I have never even heard of?
- I can definitely see that Howard lost 20 pounds, and he has already made more defensive plays this year than all of last season. I like the new leaner Howard
- Was Shane Victorino walking up to the plate with music playing that was not Bob Marley? Shane, don't do this to me. I'll have to wait to actually get to a game to find out I suppose but I did not like what I heard in the background.
- Harry had his first (of many I'm sure) fake home run call of the season in the bottom of the 3rd as Jayson Werth hit a routine fly ball to left field. Thanks for getting my hopes up Harry. If you weren't Harry Kalas, I might actually be annoyed. It's definitely part of his charm as he gets older.
- How about Raul Ibanez gunning down somebody at the plate. Burrell obviously looked a lot better doing it, but Burrell looks better than anyone doing anything (other than running).
- It was nice to see Kelly Johnson boot a ball. Last year, Kelly Johnson dropped a pop up that would've ended the game in favor of the Braves, and we came back and tied it and won in extra innings on Shane Victorino gunning down someone at the plate. I've said countless times since then: This was the moment I knew something was going on with the Phillies last season. So does another easy Kelly Johnson error mean big things again? I'll just say yes. Or that he sucks. Either way I'm ecstatic.
- I had to miss the last inning due to Bible Study tonight. My prayers clearly did not help.

For the first time this season, a feature I like to call "Sarge Says"
Tonight, while Chipper Jones was up to bat, everyone's favorite color guy (no pun intended) Gary Matthews, Sr., better known as "Sarge" said:
"He's established himself as one of the best switch hitters of all time already"
Already? Chipper Jones is 53 years old. They later showed a graphic saying that the only switch hitter ever with a better career average is Mickey Mantle. Profound, Sarge.

And a small Cheese update:
I apologize to Cheese in the first place for making it seem like he wasn't a fan. He is a fan, but he is no die hard. My goal is to get him somewhere close to die hard status. Tonight while the game was on, one of our other roommates wanted to play video games and moved his chair so he could have a better view of the video game TV (we have 3 TVs). Cheese was sitting behind him and promptly informed him to move over so he could watch the Phillies. This isn't a big step or anything, but it did make me smile.

Tomorrow is the ring ceremony starting at 2:15 I believe. I will be hurrying home from class so I can Skype with Zack and we can cry our eyes out. That's assuming the ceremony is televised, and I'm hoping that's a safe assumption. If not, Comcast may be receiving a strongly worded letter. In terms of actual baseball tomorrow, Vazquez doesn't really intimidate me. Blanton is undefeated as a Phillie (Philly?) and I think that should keep up. Hopefully the pregame ceremony doesn't cause any focus problems like Charlie said happened on Opening Night.

No matter what happens, I can't wait to see Pat again.

4 comments:

  1. For what it's worth:
    I'll see if I can find out who Skip "Memory Lane" Clayton is today. I will make it the Pennridge Rams Trivia Question today at B. Earl Druckenmiller Park when the Pennridge Lady Rams take on the visiting Quakertown Panthers in a Continental League match up on the softball field.
    Hopefully Shane has not changed his "walk up music." On Saturday, it was Buffalo Soldier by Bob Marley - no prablum mon(that was an attempt at phonetic(?) Jamaican).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazon.com says our boy Memory Lane wrote the book, "50 Phabulous Phillies" written in 2000. The back cover of the book says he has covered sports for the Rado Network (whatever that is) for 31 years and hosts a weekly racing show on WBCB in Levittown. And yes, it says he resides in Sellersville.

    Not sure about vics walk up music, but he needs to change up something. He looks terrible up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing when Harry called out Skip Memory Lane. If there is a Phillies fan in Sellersville that is so die hard and he wrote a book about it then 1. I want a copy and 2. I want to go to his house so he can sign it. I would also like to comment on how pumped I was to see Jamie. I don't care if we lost, he is still the man and aside from that he settled into his pitches. When I saw he throw a 61mph strike I got more excited.One of the many reasons I love Jamie is he still rolls his pants. I hate when the pants are not rolled up. Oh and Cam you read my mind on so many things. Howard is for sure looking way better and actually mobile. And I too was a little throw off by Shane's song. K time for Joe to get the first win, and maybe a homerun again? That'd be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. rumor - adam eaton attending ring ceremony.

    ReplyDelete