Wednesday, April 8, 2009

First win!

And what a way to do it.

"Last season, the Phillies offense ate bullpens for every meal of the day. Every single game we were struggling in last season, I would assure myself and anyone around me that everything would be OK once we got to the opposing bullpen."

I don't know if you remember reading that, but I sure remember writing it. I was watching the game with my friend James. In the top of the 7th, after the Braves made it 10-3, James said "Well I guess we're not winning 160 games this season." To which I replied, "It's only the 7th inning." Maybe sometimes such confidence is stupid, but it sure felt good seeing the offense come through (and the Braves pitching staff collapse).
Ibanez definitely impressed. Some of you may be thinking, "Why wasn't he taken out in the 8th inning once he got on base? Pat Burrell would've been taken out." Well I agree with you because Ibanez is not much faster than Burrell at all, nor is he much of an upgrade in the outfield. BUT we did not have any bench players left at this time to run for him, aside from Bruntlett who pinch hit 2 batters later.
Howard has impressed me more in the field in 3 games than he has in 3 years prior. The play he made for Madson's first out was spectacular. And Madson's one inning 7 pitches 7 strikes was fantastic. Did you notice that he is now wearing 46? Apparently, this is due to the Spring Training locker room, which is arranged alphabetically. He wanted a lower number so he could be down with other big league pitchers instead of being with all of the high-numbered folk trying to make the team. I liked 63 on him, but I guess this works. As long as his pitching hasn't changed, and after one appearance, it looks like we're in good shape.
I can honestly say that being up by 1 with Francoeur coming up had me a bit worried. Lidge is not someone who has ever made me worry before, but I really wanted the insurance run. I would've hated for his first blown save as a Phillie to come in that situation. And thankfully our bats came through so his home run to Diaz didn't matter. It is a great feeling to be confident in a closer. A special thanks to Jose "Joe Table" Mesa for my current appreciation of Brad Lidge.
Here is another non-complaint due to the win. Why is Ryan Howard swinging at ball 2 from a pitching staff that had just walked in 4 straight runs? He obviously knew what he was doing and got the go ahead RBI. I just wish sometimes he would tell us beforehand. What a jokester.

If you want comparisons to last year, I have them already. We started out 0-2 then won our first game on a walk off walk. This year we start out 0-2 and win the game because the Braves bullpen walks in 4 straight runs. Does this mean we'll win the World Series? Yes. Does it mean the Braves will be as bad as the Nationals? I will pray every night for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment