Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Phillies vs. Nationals. Live!

10:17 I am wondering how many people have left the stadium already. In my opinion, you can't put a limit on a baseball game. You're either in or you're out. I don't know how many close games I've been to where the Phils were losing by 1 or 2 and people are just leaving after every inning. One game Matt and Charms and I went to ended up going into 14 innings. We stood in the outfield for the last 5 of them, and there were waves of people leaving after each one. I just don't understand that. Be prepared for anything. I would stay until 7 in the morning if the game wasn't over.
Coste grounds out to third like an old man. It's a shame.
Dobbs goes down 0-2 quickly and grounds out. 2 down. Jimmy gets a pressure situation. Show me something
I can see people in the background leaving now. Really? Are you beating any traffic by leaving with 1 out left? Just see what happens you made it this far.
Jimmy comes through with a line drive single. Now don't get thrown out doing something stupid.
Shane is definitely someone I want up right now.
CRAP

10:05 Happ is coming in, and it sounds like they're playing some real weak music for him to warm up to. I guess it could be the Phanatic Dance or whatever this inning.
OK Steve, I apologize. Nick Johnson does look like Ron Jeremy. But he's no Stan Van Gundy.
Happ gets Johnson on a real nasty curve ball. I really like Happ
T Mac is talking about minor leaguers. I hope you ignored that. I'll tell you what's up tomorrow.
I am bored. I want the top of this inning to be over so I can see what we can do with the bats.
Dobbs makes a defensive play which is always exciting and we're out of the inning. Let's do this boys

9:56 Didn't the Phillies want to get Kip Wells a few years back? He seems like a tool. I don't know why.
Last year I would often say that I would take Chase Utley down 0-2 in the count to anyone else up 2-0. He's down 1-2 right now. I love his 2 strike hitting. As he fouls off another one, I realize I just really like his 2 strike batting in general. He fights a lot off and can usually put one in play.
This is looking like a really good at bat.
I just said something I think yesterday about Utley getting hit by pitches. He almost got out of the way of one just now but he actually sort of moved back into it. It barely missed him.
Beautiful at-bat, drawing a walk. "Now that's a guy who gets it." Wheels loves to say that about Chase Utley. And I completely agree with that.
Howard has not gone yard yet as I predicted. Now seems fine for that.
Howard hits a line drive directly into the shift. I feel like Howard should bunt there. If he can get a bunt down the third base line he'll be safe. Even if he can't get there, Utley is definitely at second. Maybe that's not the best move down 3 in the 8th, but something to think about at some point because we've never really tried it before.
Werth avoids a double play yet again.
I just realized I should've had Steve paying attention to walk-up music.
Bani comes up with 2 down and Werth on 2nd. Coming into this game, NMR led the majors in slugging percentage. Just an interesting little factoid for you.
.483 5 home runs 10 RBIs in the 7th inning or later for NMR. They are showing those stats for basically every player. I love it.
After a 3-0 count I think the umpire just wants to call a strike. It's like they're used to it. That strike was a little low, Bani should be on first.
And now he is on first with a walk. Matt Stairs comes up representing the tying run. I would love to be at the Cit right now.
Stairs grounds out to first. One more inning (unless we can only tie)

9:38 I just realized I'm not really paying attention. Sorry. Steve just texted me saying that Nick Johnson looks too much like Ron Jeremy. Steve is one of the bigger Sixers followers I know. I don't know how he can say ANYONE looks at all like Ron Jeremy after this series with the Magic and their Coach Stan Van Gundy
It's Van Gundy on the left.
I don't know why but I don't know that I can ever consider Elijah Dukes a good baseball player. There's something about him that says to me, "I suck"
Coste is having trouble handling some of these pitches. The stolen base had nothing to do with it, but he just really seems to be struggling this season in general.
As soon as I say that he actually makes a good play. I really want him to do well, it's just been a rough season.
Intentionally walking Flores, I guess the Phils remember that fateful night in July '07 as well. Smart move.
Anderson Hernandez has like 23 career RBIs I think it just said. Seriously. Going back to what I said earlier, how the heck does this guy have good numbers against anyone?
HE'S 2 FOR 2 AGAINST TASCHNER! I didn't even think Taschner existed before this season. What is going on?
And stupid Hernandez gets a stupid double to put them up 4-1. It's not like I'm worried, but I am annoyed.
This ump is tough, he doesn't seem to be giving many close calls. Todd Tichenor. Let's remember that name
Inning over finally on a fly out to right with the bases loaded.
Look for Utley to lead off the next inning with a hit. He hasn't looked good at the plate today, but I think he comes through late as he normally does.

9:20 I hate Jose Mesa. The Dodge Stump the Fans Trivia Question reminded me that I do not say that enough.
I think Coste should come through right here. Even if it's a walk I think he'll do something.
Wheels and T Mac are talking about the possibility of putting Lidge on the DL. If you want to know who will get called up, read the blog tomorrow for Down on the Pharm! It's an off day and I am pumped to update everyone on my favorite minor leaguers.
Coste does come through by walking.
I am eager to see Dobbs get his bat going again this year. I know it is a matter of time with him. Or maybe it's a matter of pressure with him. Right now there is a decent amount of pressure, so he should be good to go.
I just saw the Phanatic's jersey with Vote All Stars on the back. If you haven't used up your 25 votes yet, go vote now! There is a link to where you can vote I believe in the post about All Star voting. You can find it on the right side of your browser window. Thank you.
Dobbs strikes out for the first out.
I always like when Jimmy is up with any kind of pressure. Because if he gets a hit then the team benefits. If he doesn't, he looks like a moron. Ever since he said that crap last year about Phillies fans and free agents not wanting to come here I've had a real problem warming back up to him. If he's gonna talk he needs to back it up. And he doesn't here as he flies out to left center.
Shane flies out to straight away center
Someone please tell the Phillies that leadoff walks should at least get to 2nd base. Especially against the Nationals' bullpen

9:11 (not funny) The Phillies specialty: a double switch! I hate to take Feliz out of a game when his bat is this hot and when Greg Dobbs sucks as bad as he does at defense, but the move makes sense.
Taschner strikes out Guzman.
Myers' line for the game: 6 IP, 8 H, 3 R (all earned), 3 BB, 3 K
Ryan Howard is a defensive god.
Petz just mentioned how he wants to be in the Citizens 7 sometime. Once I was in the Bubba Burger Lucky Row along with the rest of the employees at Bux-Mont Awards (your one stop shop for all trophies, plaques, medals, gifts, engravings, and t shirts). We all got a free t shirt and a free box of Bubba Burgers. Which are like 20 some points on Weight Watchers. Thanks mom and dad

9:04 Well we got Olsen to 93 pitches as I recommended, so we should be in good shape as I predicted. Garrett Mock? Is this a joke? These players don't even exist. I'm convinced he's not a real person.
But somehow a bullpen pitcher from the Nationals does not give up any runs. Inning over, still 3-1. On to the 7th

9:01 Bottom of the 6th inning
We need some good at bats this inning. Olsen is pitching well and at 78 pitches. If we can get him into the 90s this inning we'll be in good shape. If we can score that will be even better, but I don't think we need to do anything more than just get to the bullpen.
Utley grounds out quickly. He hasn't looked so great at the plate tonight.
I'm now on to Yuengling #2 for my half birthday. So drunk
Howard with a hit up the middle. Soon enough teams are gonna have to stop shifting (not really). Steve just texted me from the game saying "Howard is noticeably smaller! He looks like a .300 guy" I can't wait to see him in person.
I really like the soundtrack from Slumdog Millionaire
Dwayne Wade is still playing.
Jayson Werth nearly grounds into a double play, but he manages to hit it well enough to make Christian Guzman suck at fielding and only get 1. I am about 95% sure that Werth has seriously grounded into less than 5 double plays as a Phillie. I remember in the second half of last year it was 1 or 2.
Ibanez is hitting .405 with 5 home runs at the Cit. I guess that has a lot to do with the fans loving him - they've only seen him at his best.
NMR gets a hit forcing Scott Olsen out of the game. HA. They are so screwed.
I enjoy the music played at the stadium - Natasha Bedingfield's "Pocket Full of Sunshine" at the part where it just keeps saying "Take me away"
See ya Olsen

8:50 There was just a commercial for LOST. That show sucks.
Cheese just called Raul Ibanez "Ban-e" (sounds basically like Bonnie but I guess with his last name it would be spelled Banny or Bani or Ban-e). Well done Cheese, I like that a lot. I will still try to call him NMR too, but I love Bani. And I'm settling on Bani for the spelling.
Sorry I'm a little behind this inning.
Zimmerman extended his hit streak to 18 with a double. Dukes just hit a ground ball up the middle and the Phillies forgot this was a game so Zimmerman scored easily.
Willingham is up and this at bat feels really long. I don't know how it's only a 1-2 count still.
He singles to center. Runners are on 1st and 2nd with 1 out
Flores is up. The game I referred to earlier in which he dominated the Phillies was July 26, 2007. He hit a home run to put the Nationals up 7-5 and we lost 7-6. I was there.
This whole live blogging deal is a bit tougher than I had imagined. I wish this thing updated automatically without me having to actually publish each post or whatever.
Flores flies out to Ibanez and the crowd loves it. I'm talking to Petz and he just said, "what a bunch of flowers that guy is." A little Spanish humor there.
Who is this Hernandez character? They talked at the beginning of this series about his good numbers against the Phillies. I have no idea who he is. He has 4 hits against Myers? Is this a joke? Is he like 36 and they were all in the minors? And what the hey he just got another hit against us. Dukes scored and Zimmerman moved to third. 3-1.
I like that Taschner is warming up right now. I really like this Taschner guy. I'm not sure why, I think I've only seen him pitch twice.
T Mac was just talking about the Phillies coming from behind in every win, and Sarge said something along the lines of, "ThEy HaVe To ReAlIzE eVeRy TeAm Is GoInG tO bE uP oN tHeM sInCe ThE wOrLd SeRiEs WiN"
THAT MAKES NO SENSE
Myers gets Olsen out to end the inning. Finally

8:31 Dwayne Wade is hurt for the Heat maybe. As if they weren't going to lose anyway. I know no one really cares about the NBA, but here's hoping Jeremiah is reading.
The Nationals have Myers figured out at the plate apparently, forcing him to ground out to 2nd.
Jimmy rips a hit between shortstop and third base but wastes it quickly by getting picked off. Unbelievable
They just showed the replay of Myers vs. Sabathia from the NLDS. That's my favorite at bat in baseball history.
The pop up king Shane Victorino pops out behind home plate. End of 5 still 1-1. Let's get to their bullpen so we can score some real runs.

8:25 Myers strikes out the first batter.
I finally saw the replay of Hamels getting hurt last night. I support my earlier statement of him being a 7 year old girl.
Utley gets a routine out at first. And speaking of Gold Gloves, I think Utley should have gotten one last year as well. Who won the Gold Glove in the NL at 2B? I'm sure they don't deserve it. Utley is unbelievable. As I said, this was routine, but overall he's a great defensive 2nd baseman I think.
Guzman breaks his bat and singles to right. He gets a lot of hits against us, but they always seem to be singles. I'll take that.
Myers throws some good pitches and gets Nick Johnson to ground out to short. Inning over. Myers leading off!

8:17 I didn't realize Sarge was in the booth until just now. Yay.
Utley grounds out to first for the first out.
Howard up. Watch out for this home run.
He is swinging at ugly low pitches again. Olsen has the scouting report on him for the first time in his career. Every one of these pitches is in the dirt. I've been saying for years that if I worked for a rival team, the Phillies would never ever win a game against them. How do more pitchers not know that he can't hit or lay off a pitch thrown at his big toe?
Howard goes the other way with a ball on the ground and gets an infield hit. THEN STEALS A BASE! I guess it's not really counted as a stolen base because the ball got away, but look at him go! Let the big dog eat! or something
Now a (speedy?) runner on second with 1 out. Werth comes through with a single, but he hit it a little too hard for Howard to score. That's OK. Ibanez can get 3 RBI on this homer now.
I just noticed in the background that Olsen has thrown 61 pitches and only 15 are balls. Well done, sir.
The Heat and Hawks are about to tip off. That's for you Jeremiah. You better be reading this.
I would seriously just walk Ibanez and Feliz and get Coste to strike out into a double play. It would happen. It's better to give up 1 run intentionally than 2 or 3 to these guys.
Walked Ibanez, bases loaded, still 1 out. Last year right now I would probably be praying that we get something out of this, but this year we're hitting like .550 or something (seriously) with the bases loaded. And Feliz is hot.
He flies out to right, and Howard stays at 3rd. I guess the smart move is keeping him there, but the throw kind sucked and he definitely would have scored. Oh well.
Chris Coste comes up with his staggering .184 average. T Mac just mentioned he's 3 for his last 20 at the plate.
I don't know how many people saw Jacoby Ellsbury of the Red Sox steal home the other night, but I'm really feeling Howard doing the same here.
Ohhhhhhhh man. Coste almost had a grand slam there but was just a few feet foul. That would've been huge.
He hit the ball well, but Zimmerman made a good play to save at least one run. Inning over, still tied at 1

8:00 Myers gets Dukes out pretty quickly.
Bean just texted me pointing out that it's weird to see Brett so skinny. I completely agree. He looks (physically) like he did back in his first 2 years in the league.
Another pretty quick out. 2 down
Jesus Flores is up. I recall him killing the Phillies once or twice in his day. I was definitely at a game where Jesus did anything but save the Phillies. (is that OK to say?)
Whew I thought he had a homer there, but 1-2-3 inning for Myers. Utley Howard Werth Ibanez should be at least 1 run every time. Let's do this

7:56 There was just a commercial here at Penn State for OIP (Original Italian Pizza). Zack lives right next to that place, and one of his roommates and another friend of mine has a pizza named after him there as of this week. So if you're in State College or plan on making a trip up here any time, head over to OIP on West College Ave and get the James Doyle Pizza. It has fried chicken and honey mustard. Might not be my first choice, but I will definitely try it soon.
I love watching Brett Myers bat. Unfortunately, he flies out on the first pitch here and there's 1 out real quick.
Jimmy has a solid at bat, but strikes out looking on the 10th pitch.
Cheese is on his way back home to watch the rest of the game. He was at the library writing a paper. I assume he had to go to the library because otherwise he'd be too distracted by the Phillies. After the game we are celebrating my 21 1/2 birthday. Half birthdays are arguably better than the real thing. Everyone has a real birthday, but some people don't have a half birthday. Anyone born on Halloween is out of luck. People born at the end of August are out of luck as well. My dad, whose real birthday is August 29th, only gets a half birthday every 4 years.
Sorry I rambled about that, Victorino got out

7:47 I always love when Milt Thompson gets interviewed during games. I don't know why but he just soothes me. Maybe that's a little gay, but whatever. It's the Phillies.
Brett Myers has now thrown like 6 pitches in this game for the first 7 outs after getting some random Nationals player to pop out to Feliz.
Great play by Werth trying to gun down Anderson Hernandez. I am honestly shocked that a ball got around Ryan Howard. Well done Werth, but Hernandez is in for a double.
Wheels just asked Milt if Chase Utley is becoming more of a pull hitter. Seriously? When has he EVER hit the ball the other way? Can anyone seriously remember a time?
Bean informed me last night that our win officially gave us a winning April. She just informed me now that every time we have had a winning record in April since 2008 we have won the World Series. And I actually think that's true since like 2004 or something at least. Something to think about folks.
After jinxing Myers' low pitch count, he took the pitcher to a full count and walked him. Runners on first and second 1 out. Guzman could provide a tough double play too.
RYAN HOWARD JUST MADE A THROW TO SECOND BASE! I cannot remember that ever happening. This was the true test, and I honestly think he should be given a Gold Glove right now. Wheels and T Mac are talking about how big of a deal this is too, so I guess I'm not even exaggerating. Not that I thought I was, but they seem pretty amped about that throw.
Chris Coste lets a ball go by easily, giving yet another reason to send him down to the minors. I don't want it to happen, but less and less am I seeing him sticking around. We'll see soon enough.
Ball 4 to Nick Johnson looked pretty close to me. Bases loaded now with 2 down. I really don't want Ryan Zimmerman up right now with his 16 or 17 game hit streak or whatever he has.
Myers' third walk of the inning ties the game at 1. They just showed he had 18 pitches in the first 2 innings and has 21 in the third inning.
Myers finally gets a call against Adam Dunn. It seems like he hasn't been getting anything close up to this point.
Someone hit a ball in the air to the outfield in this series and it didn't go over the fence. Ibanez puts Dunn away on a routine fly ball. On to the bottom of the 3rd inning tied at 1

7:32 Wheel of Fortune is coming on and I plan on having that on the other TV. Sorry if that ends up being too much of a distraction for me.
Werth started off this season real well, especially in that Colorado series. Since then he's been very quiet. A strike out here is really no surprise. I expect him to get going at some point, but we don't really need him to get going right now with the way everyone else is hitting.
Ibanez shows that he may or may not be human with an ugly strike out. 2 out
The Pirates just got swept by the Brewers today, and all is right with the world. The only run in that game was a home run by the Brewers' pitcher.
Feliz gets walked. At the beginning of last year, one thing I kept saying during Phillies games was that I was "really warming up to Feliz." Well I warmed up to him a lot quicker than most and I haven't looked back. Most still haven't warmed up to him, but the way I see it is we don't need him to hit well considering the rest of our lineup, and his glove is outstanding.
Chris Coste is up in what could be one of his last games. Giving a reason to keep Marson up and send Chris down, he has an ugly strike out. Olsen is dealing. Who is this guy? We used to kill him

7:24 Adam Dunn is up, and I'm glad we got out of the first inning and have him leading off because I basically expect a home run out of him at this point.
Our future Gold Glover at first takes care of a ground ball from Dunn, 1 down.
Wheels is talking about Myers getting ground ball outs and how that's good and all that stuff, and he mentioned the old Braves pitchers. I feel like Wheels mentions Braves pitching at every possible opportunity he could even invent.
Dukes gets a hit to centerfield which brings up Willingham. I was just about to say how I remember him dominating the Phillies in the past but Wheels stole my thunder. When Willingham was on the Marlins he would always seem to get big hits against us.
Dukes gets picked off, most likely because he's not good. 2 down.
Myers strikes out Willingham, and he is looking pretty darn good through 2 innings. If Brett Myers can get through the first 2 innings of a game without giving up a run, the other team is in trouble.

7:17 I'm making the decision to put my most recent posts up top so if you are refreshing along you don't have to scroll down each time.
My roommate Jack just pointed out that Wheels was describing Scott Olsen as a stereotypical left hander, and all he really described was a gangster. Something about his hat being a certain way and him talking trash and other crap like that. Weird. But you know what I always say: I like Wheels.
Jimmy grounds out as quickly as ever to continue sucking. 1 down on 2 pitches.
VICTORINO!! 10 game hit streak for Shane on a line drive home run. I can't say enough I really like the way he is swinging the bat. It would've been extra cool to lead off the game with that home run...
Chase struck out pretty quickly and you just don't see that very often.
I need Howard to get a hit tonight. I currently have a 5-game hit streak in MLB.com's Beat the Streak game and today I picked Howard. He is 11 for 24 lifetime against Olsen. I expect at least 1 bomb out of him tonight.
Not this time around. Howard didn't hit a home run, so historically we know that means he struck out.
End of the first, 1-0 Phils

7:10 So I decided I'm just going to type as I watch and post at each commercial break, whether that be the inning or a pitching change or whatever. 1 out on a Guzman groundout to Jimmy. Guzman had a 5 for 5 game against us earlier this year I believe. Yes, that was just confirmed by T Mac. Jimmy really had to hurry on that one. Nick Johnson with a single to get things started for the Nationals. Good to see Brett giving up base runners early, that way when someone hits a home run it's not a solo shot. Thanks for proving me wrong Brett. Zimmerman grounds into a double play and the inning is over. Let's get things started early this time Phils

7:02 We had a bit of a scare there. The game is not on Comcast but luckily it is on one of these random myphl17 or whatever channels. Starting Lineup: SS Rollins CF Victorino 2B Utley 1B Howard RF Werth LF Ibanez 3B Feliz C Coste P Myers Pretty standard. I'm really hoping Jimmy steps it up tonight and against the Mets this weekend, and if he doesn't, I'd love to see Shane leading off soon. Hit Jimmy down at 7 or something until he figures himself out. Move Pedro up because he's been hitting really well this season.

6:56 So I am going to be watching the game and updating this as I go along. I will udpate at least every half inning probably. I guess I have to keep editing this post and reposting it, so if you are following along you may have to keep refreshing the window. I don't really know how it works or how else to do it. Game starts pretty soon, I'm gonna finish my dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment