Saturday, May 9, 2009

Series vs. Braves

My finals week has finally come to an end, but I still did not get a chance to watch the game tonight. I was half listening to it so I can't be of any real value in commenting on the game. Looking at the box score and such, a few things pop out:
-Victorino's hit streak over. 16 games, very nice. With the way our offense is working, I'm sure someone else will have one of at least that length very soon
-Hamels had a very solid outing. It's nice to see he could actually make it through a start without getting hurt. Hopefully this is last year's Cole Hamels back for good
-Jayson Werth has been HOT. I feel like I looked at his batting average about 15 minutes ago and it was .250 and all of a sudden he is hitting .289. Keep it up
-I'm not going to ease up on Rollins cause he still sucks, but it does look like he's improving at the plate this season. He had a 2 run double, and he's now hit safely in 6 straight
-I love when Brad Lidge blows a save in a non save situation. He obviously didn't actually blow a save, but he got a bad performance out of the way. I remember this happening several times last season. Most notably, the game where Victorino threw the guy out at home against the Braves in the game that told me the Phillies would win the World Series and the game where he came in when we were losing to the Braves already and gave up a grand slam in the 9th so we could lose to them by more. It's a beautiful thing when his horrible pitching has no affect on the outcome of the game in terms of a win or loss. Tonight was one of those nights, so expect a string of good outings from him before we hopefully use him in another meaningless situation

Looking ahead -
I think the Braves suck. So let's just beat them
First of all, the Braves bullpen has an 11.57 ERA against us this season and we're hitting .317 against them. And that's without us even hitting a home run
The starters for this weekend don't really scare me either -
Ibanez has hit 3 home runs in just 16 at bats against Vazquez (tomorrow's starter). This is our 2nd time facing him this season, the first being our first win of the year when the Braves' bullpen walked in our roster for us to win. I think Blanton keeps moving in a positive direction and has a solid outing.
The Braves have completely made up a person by the name of Kenshin Kawakami to start the game on Sunday. He's 1-4 with a 6.41 ERA. If you are going to create a person out of the blue, Braves, at least make him decent. Oh, and he wears number 11. Seriously? Through minutes of pain staking research I figured out he is one of two pitchers in baseball to wear the number 11. The other one is Mike Hampton. I don't know what to make out of that. But boy is this guy weird. 11? Have some self respect. Needless to say

(I am not worried about Sunday's game. In case it was, in fact, needed to be said)

No comments:

Post a Comment