Sunday, May 10, 2009

Good Old Uncle Charlie

I commented on my mother's day post about the change to the lineup today. Matt Stairs played in place of Jayson Werth. Apparently this was due to Werth running into the wall on Saturday, so it wasn't a stupid move by Charlie to take him out of the lineup. Even if it were a stupid move, it all turned out okay when Stairs went 2 for 2 with 2 walks and an RBI. As usual, things seemed to work out for Chuck

I was quick to second guess him taking out Brett Myers after the 6th inning though. I was listening to the game on the radio, so maybe people were seeing something I wasn't hearing. But from where I sat, Brett had thrown 6 innings, given up 5 hits (only 1 in the last 3 innings he pitched) and just 1 run. We did have a good situation to score with a runner on 3rd in the bottom of the 6th, and sometimes it's good to get starters out of the game before you leave them in too long, but aren't we at all looking to rest up our bullpen? We finally had a pitcher go 8 innings on Saturday and suddenly we're in good shape? We've only had our starter get through the 7th inning 3 times this season in 29 games. Myers was at 92 pitches. You get another inning out of him and then bring in Madson and Lidge for the win. Instead, we use up our bullpen some more on a day where we really didn't need to.
I realize it's a tough call, and Charlie often ends up being right somehow with every decision he makes. But in that situation I'm willing to take the chance of Myers getting rocked in the 7th inning based on the chance that he doesn't get rocked and we're in good shape for a win and some rest for a weary bullpen.

I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks about this and the game today in general.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not big on pitch counts, but I’m guessing that’s part of the reason Myers came out. And with runners on first and third and two outs - a Dobbs hit would have been huge. I don't have an issue with Myers coming out there - he was dancing out of trouble all day - I just don't think a one run lead is the place to use your worst bullpen arm.

    I think it's time to bat Rollins 7th for a week – maybe he’ll get some meatballs there to get his stroke back. It won’t happen. It would be a huge hit to the ego for a guy who won the MVP. But a leadoff hitter batting .105 with a .231 on base percentage is not going to get us to the playoffs. He’s gotta get straightened out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw you, but I think we should bat Rollins sixth and let Feliz hit him in. Or bat Rollins 8th everyday unless Myers is pitching. Then obviously Rollins would be last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I definitely agree with both of you. Rollins has been a complete joke. Our offense has consistently worked when he has been good. I don't think that's because it's Jimmy Rollins, I think that's because he's our leadoff hitter. We need someone leading off who will get on base, so we need basically anyone other than Jimmy or a catcher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy needs to get in gear because he is really starting to be annoying. I don't know why we keep him at lead off. I'm sure he will eventually get back in the groove but until then why do we have to suffer with him as lead off? It's at the point where is he is basically an automatic out. If by some miracle he doesn't pop up and he actually makes it on base, there is a high chance he is gonna get picked off bc he doesn't pay attention and does stupid things. Whatever I'm just real excited to play the Dodgers and I wish Brett was pitching in this series because we all remember how awesome he bats against them.

    ReplyDelete