Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pitching

So I just got off the phone with my brother-in-law after a good conversation about the NBA and the Phillies and other random things. If you're not watching the NBA Playoffs, you should be. That's all I'll say about that though.

The Phillies pitching situation is one that I keep hearing about over and over again. I have now heard Ken Rosenthal talk to me twice about how the Phillies need another starter. Who even are you Ken? Here's my feelings on the Phillies getting a new starter:

A new starter is always nice because we most likely would be upgrading one of our current starters. I doubt we'd trade for anything less than a number 2 guy. But who the heck are we going to trade? I don't really wanna trade anyone that is currently on our roster, and we all know how much I love the farm system, so I always have a tough time approving of trades. This year, though, I have realized there are plenty of people in our system that we don't need at all because we are extremely set in several places.
And even if we do make a trade, who do we replace in the rotation? Options:
Hamels - never
Myers - never
Moyer - as much as he may have struggled so far, I am sure he is going to get things together. And if we replace him, where do we put him? He's a starting pitcher, bottom line. His last two starts have been good enough for us to win, we just haven't. I'm not saying "good enough to win" is the best case scenario, but I feel very confident in the Ageless Wonder.
Blanton - It's especially tough to replace him after last night's start. But when we got Blanton last year people complained. He didn't have the best numbers, and he never will. But he is a number 3 or most likely 4 pitcher on this team who can pitch innings. Last year the explanation for Blanton was "innings eater." So how can you move an innings eater to the bullpen? The purpose of him is to save the rest of the bullpen. I guess we could still save the bullpen with him in it just by pitching him more, but that seems kinda dumb to me. He can clearly start and be very effective, so it's tough to replace him.
Happ - I think this would be one of the dumbest moves we could make. At this point, it looks like Happ can be a consistent starter for us and get the job done. Not to mention, he will be starting for us in years to come. Yes, he was very good in the bullpen, but he is also very good as a starter. He started 4 games for us last year and 1 so far this year. In those 5 starts, he has a 2.43 ERA. And it's not like we were playing the Nationals. Those were games against the Mets, Cardinals, Braves, and Yankees. I just don't see the advantage to putting him back in the bullpen.

With all of that said, I think the most likely option is Blanton, and I guess that makes the most sense of the guys we have to choose from. But that still leaves the question of who do we trade? And who do we want to get? What do you all think the best options would be for us?

7 comments:

  1. your question might be answered with myers "hip inflammation" - looks like he might need to be replaced for at least 15 days.

    honestly, i think the guy to replace (if everyone is healthy) is moyer at this point. i don't want to see them get some average #3 or 4 starter, either - i'd want them to get at least a solid number 2. And to get that i'd give up carasco, donald and a sweetener. i'm convinced that carasco will not amount to much (though i may eat those words) and donald will be a utility guy.

    options: peavy (too expensive); erik bedard (solid number 2); brad penny (too average); jason marquis (even less average than penny); and i'm sure there'll be others as the deadline gets closer. i don't see anything happening for at least a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I am not as high on Carrasco as I once was, so I wouldnt mind getting rid of him. And Donald doesn't seem to have much of a place up here at shortstop. I guess he could play elsewhere but I also have inside information from someone working with the Iron Pigs that Donald is arrogant and lame.
    Bedard is at the top of my list as well, but Penny was an above average NL pitcher, and Marquis apparently is a sinker ball guy, so he would be good in the Cit. I also heard Roy Oswalt who I am not a big fan of. Bedard is interesting because he's another lefty. Maybe if we got him we would move Happ back to the bullpen? Or we would have 3 or 4 lefty starters depending on who we replace in the rotation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of trades- there needs to be some sort of trading/drafting type thing for announcers. I wish we could list T-Mac and Sarge as a free agent and cross our fingers someone signs their dumbasses. Did anyone catch Sarge call Chooch Feliz at least ten times tonight? I thought at first it was my hearing because the names do sound a like but nope he was def saying Feliz. I just really feel like the fans should have a say in the announcers since we are the ones that have to listen to them. Obviously we all want Harry and there will never be another one like him, but we shouldn't have to put up with these idoits any longer. I hate T-Mac a little more everyday. I almost wish we don't hit homeruns because I absolutely hate his homerun call.
    Everyone knows the deal with Sarge- Cam does a great impression by the way. But in all seriousness I think we should bring in someone new and younger. With the passing of Harry the K, it's time we get used to and learn to love someone else. Philly first got Harry when he was young and they learned to love the way he called the game and did everything and I just think it's time we get someone like that too. Someone who brings his own spices to the table so to speak. That Franzie guy or however you spell his name is pretty entertaining and I think he is our best option right now. Of course all this will never happen but maybe one day we'll get lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cam: i forgot about oswalt. he'd be a great pickup, not sure if his numbers are what they once were, but he'd be real good. and inside information from the iron pigs? wow, friends in high places. must be nice.

    the bottom line is that we would have to give something up to get something - i'm not sure carrasco and donald alone could get us an oswalt.


    bntobin: i mostly agree but i think hands down wheels is the absolute worst - "boink." T-mac is okay in the back and forth conversation and can be loose - but you're right, his actual calls stink. I think I'm alone here but I don't mind sarge all that much - he at least makes me laugh. Wheels takes himself too seriously ("look where it hits the wall - see right there - "boink") and can't laugh at anything. The best thing wheels ever said was, "and back for the 7th inning is hall of famer Harry kalas" - boy do i miss that. It will take years until "the new voice" rises to the top, whoever that will be, but I agree that Franzkie has the best shot at being that guy. Love him. "Boink."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me take this opportunity to say that the person responsible for this blog is quite possibly the best phillies announcer available. That's right Cam, I went there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, what's he waiting for? he has connections with iron pigs - get on it, cam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well in other news

    I read Jayson Stark's Rumbling and Grumblings this week and it talked about what to do with Moyer. Charlie has said that he will start Jamie forever basically, so that eliminates someone from the running of starters to be replaced. And apparently Myers may need surgery, so yes, Dukes, that could answer our question

    ReplyDelete