Monday, May 4, 2009

Nevermind

As the great Kevin Weikel once told me: "Procrastination is the best motivation"

Due to that outlook on work, I wrote an 8 1/2 page paper in like 2 or 3 hours today, and I can now comment on the game tonight.

Albert Pujols is one scary mother. But I would argue that Ryan Howard may be just as scary when playing in his hometown of St. Louis. In the last 3 seasons, he is hitting .368 with 6 home runs and 24 RBIs in 57 bats there. He even has a stolen base! So I say watch out for Ryan Howard. It's only 2 games, but I am gonna say one of them will be a multi-home run game for him.

I think this will be a very offensive short series. We all know how our pitching is so I don't need to say much there. We face Kyle Lohse tonight, the a-hole who wouldn't stay in Philly because he wanted to see if he could make more money somewhere else (which he couldn't). He's been very good since we lost him though. Last year he went 15-6 with a 3.78 ERA and this year he is 3-0 with a 1.97 ERA. I feel like we often fare well against pitchers who are doing well early in the season, so I am optimistic about this matchup. I would rather not face him, but I do have some optimism. The real thing that has me feeling good about playing the Cardinals is their complete lack of lefthanded pitching. The lefthanders they do have are as follows:

Jaime Garcia - 10 appearances this season (1 start). In 16 innings he's allowed 10 earned runs, given up 4 home runs, and has as many walks as strike outs (8)
Trever Miller - 8 appearances, 5.40 ERA
Dennys Reyes - 12 appearances, 7 innings, 3 hits, 2 earned runs. Really the only one we should worry about

That's it, they only have 3 lefties. And 2 of them don't seem to be very good. They do have a 4th listed on their roster on ESPN.com, but he doesn't have a jersey number or any stats for this season, so I'm not gonna worry about him. So this is once again a situation where getting past the starter will be good news for us. Patience early is going to be key. Look for Ryan Howard to come up big today and tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. good prediction on the big man. also I love the high hopes title. It's perfect and it's Harry. I don't really pay that close of attention to the standings this early on but we should be very close to first place right? I'll have to check. I would love to get a big cushion between us and the mets. We have a perfect chance to do that later this week actually. Great week for baseball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, don't blame your procrastination on me!

    great game tonight - only caught the end after it was comfortable, but i can take a comfortable game every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am not blaming my procrastination on you, i'm crediting you with it. come on kev.

    ReplyDelete