Wednesday, May 6, 2009

First Place

With the win tonight against the Cardinals and another Marlins loss, we've pulled into first place. In wishing me a happy May a few days ago, Bean also predicted this would be the month we took first place and didn't look back. I hope that is the case. These next 2 games against the Mets would be great ones to take if we want to hang on to first and keep this going. The matchup tomorrow of Santana vs. Park does not exactly favor the Phillies to say the least, but like Kevin Garnett, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! (For fans of the NBA or "I'm On a Boat")

One thing that never gets old about playing the Cardinals is the possible Lidge-Pujols showdown. I almost completely forgot about this, but luckily the two squared off in the bottom of the 9th, and I got to be reminded of the longest home run ever even imagined in a video game:
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=455632&w=2005/open/topplays/archive10/05nlcs_gm5_slnhou_pujols_3runhr_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2005/10/17/slnmlb-houmlb-1&curl=custom_context/ps/y2005/lcs_b.jsp&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp350&v=2

Hopefully that video works. I love Brad Lidge. But this video makes me soil myself with laughter every time. That is an absolutely unreal home run. Tonight during the game they were talking about it (because they always do) and Wheels said that after the game the Astros were flying to St. Louis and catcher Brad Ausmus got on PA system type thing in the plane and said something to the tune of: "If you look out your window to the left, you will see Albert Pujols' home run ball" Wheels and T Mac talked about this like Ausmus was telling a joke, but I'm fairly confident he wasn't. I mean seriously, look at that video again.

5 comments:

  1. I love being in first place. I hope it's not one of those things where we keep flip flopping between first a second. I hate that. It loses its awesomeness after awhile. I texted Cam because I see that Park is pitching. Such a let down. I hate to say it but I really don't want to celebrate this first place too much with him on the mound. I'm not being negative, I'm just being realistic here. Tom Hanks said it best in A League of Their Own- With the way he has been pitching Stiwell could hit off us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all the pressure is on the mutts tonight...if the phils win this game can you imagine the uproar in new york? plus, the phils don't have to win tonight - as long as they split this series they'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did CHP just have the best outing by a Phillies starting pitcher all year? Somehow this loss would have felt better if he got rocked. We should have squeezed this one out.

    Some boneheaded plays by Feliz and Werth were the difference. For me, Feliz is the bigger goat because he didn't get a runner over to third with no outs and he should have put that ball in his pocket instead of throwing it to first.

    Oh well, a win tomorrow puts us exactly where we were last night this time. 2.5 up on the Mutts. Tomorrow's a big game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed Kev. I rarely give Happy any crap for his glove, but I think this one is on him. And what the heck is up with Park pitching our best game of the year. On Friday night I yelled "I hate Chan Ho Park!" and one of my roommates thought I was complaining about the stadium we were playing in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your blog and i would say anybody can afford atomotive product at discount in online stores.

    threaded stem casters & thermoplastic rubber

    ReplyDelete