Monday, May 18, 2009

Breakin Out the Brooms

The only thing sweeter than a sweep is a 4 game sweep. And we did it in very interesting fashion. It's not often that a team can give up 5 or 6 runs every game and win all of them, but our guys came out to hit this weekend. In the 2nd game Saturday night, we scored 7 runs with only our 1-4 hitters getting hits in the game. And that game ended with Howard up, bases loaded, no one out. I was looking forward to his 3rd grand slam of the season, but I guess it will have to wait for another day.
We lucked out having that game end early. We clearly needed all the pitchers we could get today (thanks Park). I didn't get to watch the game because I was on my way back to school/at Chocolate World loving every second of my life. I was listening on the radio though when my boy Sergio Escalona came into the game. In my next minor league update he would have for sure been mentioned. He had been hot since my last update, giving up zero runs in his past 9.1 innings with Reading while picking up 4 saves. It's awesome that he pitched 1 inning and got his first major league win. I thoroughly enjoy having an extra pitcher as opposed to Miguel "Useless" Cairo on the team (I'll work on the nickname). With the way some of our starters (and relievers for that matter) have been pitching, we need the extra arms.
We get a day off tomorrow which is a very good thing. Seven games in 6 days is a little excessive, especially with the work our pitchers have been getting. Hopefully I can come up with something random and enjoyable for tomorrow's blog. If you have any ideas let me know. And let me know things you'd like to see in general.

Fun fact for today:
If the Nationals were the only team we played, Raul Ibanez would have 108 home runs and 288 RBIs. (Yes, I consider this a "fact")

2 comments:

  1. nice fun fact, cam. and it looks like you won't have to be coming up with a better nickname for Cairo - i don't think he's coming back (at least i hope not).

    interesting fact i heard yesterday - phils are 7-2 against the nats and 14-15 against everyone else. it's good they've taken care of business against the bottom-dwellers, but i hope they get better against everyone else. i do like this new lineup charlie is throwing out there against righty's. rollins and vic back to back was getting dangerous - they needed to be split up.

    Here's a question - Park has the worst outing from a starting pitcher this year (yesterday) but also the best (last week against the mets). If you were to bring Happ into the rotation, who do you replace - Park or Moyer? and i'm pulling for moyer to turn it around, but when do you pull the plug on the guy? 2 more bad starts, 3 more? This can't go on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kinda sorta starting to get a little tiny bit concerned with our pitching. It's only May so I shouldn't be worried it's not like you can win the division now, but we can lose it.
    I like what everyone besides the pitchers are doing. The big man is very impressive with his defense, and the naked mole rat is def an upgrade from what we had. (Sorry had to say it) It's weird because usually when a shallow ball goes to left field I'm still in the mind set where I'm like alright the other team just got a single, but with the naked one it's a pleasant surprise when he comes hustling to make the play. Again, sorry. Everyone knows my love for the bat but let's be honest with ourselves- Raul is such an upgrade to our team and it was one of the best moves the Fightins have made. I also want to add in that NMR has totally won me over. I posted before about how I had a weird attitude towards him but now I love him. I think he is a clutch player but even more than that I love his attitude. So humble. He'll be so fun to watch when we repeat. His attitude is kinda like Chase's where he is just there to play baseball plain and simple. Unlike some people who are arrogant and annoying. Yea I'm talking to you, Jimmy.

    Whatever this post is way longer then I wanted it to be but bottom line is regardless of all this we are still going to repeat. I'm not saying that because I love the Phils, I'm saying it because we are the best team in baseball.

    ReplyDelete