Saturday, May 23, 2009

1 Down

After game 1 of this series with the Yankees, I could not be more confident about my prediction of taking at least 2 out of 3. Brett Myers pitched an absolute gem. It's a shame it doesn't look as good as it was because he gave up 3 runs, but those 3 runs were 3 solo home runs in a game appeared to have in hand when he gave each of them up anyway.
I figured Utley, Ibanez, Howard, and Stairs would have a field day in this park with how easily I had heard the ball flies out of right field. Well on the first pitch of the game I realized it flies out much easier than I ever could have imagined. I don't know about everyone else, but I thought Jimmy flew out to right and suddenly the ball was 10 rows deep. It's also nice that on a night where we hit 4 home runs, Ibanez was the only one of our more powerful lefties to hit one. I would have to think that Howard and Utley will each get at least 1 during this series as long as they can get a ball in the air.
Instead of those guys doing the hitting, Carlos Ruiz continued his more recent success. On May 12, his batting average dropped to .161 and he had yet to get an RBI this season. In 8 games since then, he is hitting .393 with 7 RBIs and now a home run after last night. He's also 2 for 3 in his career against Pettitte (tonight's pitcher) with a home run.
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm excited to see Happ start tonight. It's like looking into the future. Or something

No comments:

Post a Comment