Thursday, June 25, 2009

Wow

In Dukes' comment after the game last night, he said he would refuse to watch any game in which Jimmy Rollins is leading off. Although I cannot see myself being able to follow through on the same thing, I wish I would have thought of this and that I could actually commit to doing it. His leadoff struggles have just gotten worse since I wrote about how terrible he is. I did not get to watch the game last night, and when I had heard that we lost I came home to check the box score and basically see how Jimmy did. 0 for 4. I practically expect it at this point. It has definitely gotten out of hand, and I would encourage anyone who has the will power to do so to take part in Dukes' boycott. It has definitely gotten completely out of hand how bad he is.

And there's nothing I hate more than a wasted effort by a pitcher. Blanton pitched an absolute gem last night, similar to what Hamels did on Sunday against the Orioles. And for both of them, we manage just 1 run in support. And it's not even like it's close. I think we only had 4 hits in each of those 2 games, and our run was on a solo home run in both of them. Unreal.

And the reason I didn't see the game last night was because I saw Transformers: Rise of the Fallen. I'm not normally a big fan of these types of things, but the first movie was enjoyable enough that I figured it'd be good to see the 2nd one. Well it wasn't. Even taking the movie for what it is - a movie about alien robots that come in the form of cars and battle each other - it was still complete crap in my opinion. It was the corniest thing I've ever seen. The entire movie was based around finding the "matrix of leadership." Seriously? I don't recommend it.

On a happier note, I read today something that confirmed why I love baseball as much as I do. From the preview for today's game:
"The Phillies scored six runs in the top of the first inning Tuesday on their way to snapping their six-game losing streak. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, only one other team in Major League history has scored six or more runs in the first inning at the beginning of a road trip after finishing a homestand with six consecutive losses. That team was the Angels on June 30, 1975, against the Twins at Metropolitan Stadium"

Only in baseball has something that ridiculously specific happened twice. People say there is a first time for everything. That is no longer true of baseball. It's all happened

2 comments:

  1. I will boycott. Easier for me than most I would assume...

    ReplyDelete
  2. just to be clear - i said i would boycott until he was benched. i said nothing about after he was benched. therefore, i could technically watch even if he leads off tomorrow night because he was benched tonight. good thing i have plans tomorrow night and can't watch anyway.

    my issue with this is that he gets a breather and will go back into the leadoff spot tomorrow night. i'd rather he not be benched tonight and just bat 6th for the rest of his life. i guess this benching is more about the burrell play than it is about his hitting (it's probably about both).

    maybe not, though...maybe charlie had a conversation with him and is giving him a night to think about his new spot in the lineup? Like a good reality TV show, the drama unfolds and we'll find out tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete