Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Mets We Know and Love

I called yesterday's game a "freak accident" because we lost despite handling Santana. Well, I guess freak accidents even out or something, because there's no reason we should have won this game.

The Mets had 16 hits
The Mets had 19 at bats with runners in scoring position
Pelfrey, their pitcher, went 2 for 3 with a run scored and an RBI
Cole Hamels gave up 11 hits in 5 innings
Chan Ho Park had to pitch 2 innings
David Wright hit a double in the bottom of the 10th of a tie game with a fast runner on first

The difference is:

They scored just 4 runs on those 16 hits
They got 6 hits in those 19 at bats, and stranded 16 runners
Pelfrey is a headcase who didn't want to pitch anymore
Somehow he limited that to 4 runs even though it felt like 10-15
The Mets suck too bad to score off of Chan Ho Park this season apparently
Jayson Werth may or may not have caught that double. I still don't believe he did

Somehow the Mets were only charged with 1 error in this game. Beltran's was obviously an error, and I would say David Wright had an error with the bases loaded. But this is Major League Baseball after all, so I'm a bit surprised they even gave an error to Beltran. That 7th inning is the exact reason you watch all of every Phillies game. Up until that inning, I actually wanted to turn that game off. Yeah I said it. Wheels said it right (amazingly enough) when he said the game felt like it was 12-1 when it was still 4-1. Ironically, Cheese texted me tonight after the game and said he watched it. I'm impressed because I could barely make it through the first 6.

Me not making it through the first 6 may be mainly attributed to Tom McCarthy, with whom I have reached my breaking point. I am going to record the replay of this game and then go back and note every horrible thing he said that made me want to kill everyone. It is that important to me to stress how bad Tom McCarthy is. I will from now on being calling him Tom because he doesn't deserve a nickname. I might even call him Thomas. Tom is too friendly as well. You may think this is harsh now, but I think after I rewatch and post his comments you will not think I'm so crazy.

I don't want to complain too much about this game because we won, but PAUL BAKO?!
I meant to comment on this yesterday. We put Lidge on the DL and call up a 36-year-old catcher? Seriously? He has a lifetime .231 batting average. We are his 11th team since his debut in 1998. Don't ever do this to me again Phillies. This is complete garbage. I would rather put in freakin Kelly Dugan who we just drafted, is 19 years old, hasn't graduated from high school, and whose first name is Kelly.

And speaking of the DL, what a hilarious term. Disabled list? Like they have a disability all of a sudden? That's enjoyable to think about.

And you can show me that Jayson Werth catch as many times as you want, but I will never believe that he is going to catch it until he does. I will forever be surprised by that catch. Way to sober up long enough to make that catch. Wipe your chin, you're drooling hair.

Finally, I'll leave you with these words from Charlie Manuel:
"It's kinda nice to have Utley. I kinda like Utley."

5 comments:

  1. I watched most of the game on SNY while building a workbench in the basement. Believe it or not, I actually like their announcers - they compliment good pitches, good plays, and good hits no matter what team is involved - and the play by play guy doesn't act like he's announcing the unicycler at the local carnival. We might have beat out the Mets the last two years for the postseason, but they sure caught a break when T-Mac went back to Philly.

    That said, the SNY guys did get a little frustrating by talking about Hamels and his "choke artists" comment the entire time he pitched. I know there is a long way to go in this season, but the Beltran dropped fly, Wright bobbled grounder, and a zillion guys left on base actually proved Hamels right tonight - even if Hamels himself choked a bit this evening.

    Great win. We should have won last night, they should have won tonight. Sure is good to be up three instead of one. And I'm glad I was wrong, at least for tonight, about the bullpens - ours was better than theirs tonight (with an assist from J. Werth).

    Oh, and how good of a hitter is David Wright - even though he's a Met, he's probably my favorite Met. And if you rule out speed, Alex Cora is every bit as good as Jose Reyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree about David Wright. I think he has single-handedly won more games for the Mets against us than anyone else. And usually his defense is just as important as his offense in that. So I was very surprised to hear he has 8 errors this season. Yikes. But I have always thought that our infield would be completely perfect if we had him at 3rd.

    Unfortunately, something went terribly wrong with my DVR last night and the replay of the game did not get recorded. But Thomas McCarthy still sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is quite possibly your best post yet. I love everything about it. Here's a quick thought: even though it's early June, how much did last night's game just feel like a sucker punch to the Mets. They completely dominated that game, and couldn't win. They had relief pitcher after relief pitcher in a jam, and couldn't pull off the win. It was remarkable to watch them (the Mets) lose that game, because there is no way they should lose that game.

    Another thought: Jayson Werth's defense. Now, you know me, I love Jayson, but his defense until that catch last night has been lackluster. He has fantastic speed, but you rarely see him begin with a quick (and correct) break on the ball, and God forbid he catch a flyball with two hands, he's way too cool for that. It was nice to see him make a great play in the outfield like that.

    Final thought: Thomas. We need another play-by-play guy. I can deal with Thomas for 3, maybe 4 innings a game (I know that you might not be able to Cam, but I'm okay with him for a time), but listening to that guy drone on and on for 9 innings is awful. I recently had a conversation with an old Phillies fan, and we lamented the current broadcasting team of Thomas (I have a great voice and love to hear myself drone on about incorrect baseball facts) and Wheels (I know everything about baseball, am the nicest guy in the world, and yet have no chemistry with a single other announcer in the world). It really is a shame, and Phils need to bring in another play by play guy to split the time with Thomas.

    These are just thoughts, and keep in mind that I too like Wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thoughts Steve. It's truly sad that Sarge is our best guy in the booth right now. Somehow the person with the worst voice for broadcasting in history is the best the Phillies have to offer. And Wheels just comes off as very arrogant all the time. It's like he's too good for Thomas. Sorry Wheels, you bite. And I used to be a big Wheels supporter. I really don't like him any more this season. Maybe the loss of Harry did it. I'm not sure, but I think we need a completely new broadcast team for TV. Named Scott Franzke and Larry Anderson. I could listen to them all day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. I don't understand why LA isn't on tv? I think we should all just watch the game in mute and pretend the great one is calling it because let's be honest, we are never going to get a better broadcaster than him. And also I'm trying to find a way to somehow get in contact with the Phillies organization to make sure Thomas shuts his damn mouth after his stupid homerun call so we can at least here Harry's homerun call that they do. This isn't about you Thomas, this is about us and Harry so shut the hell up. Also let's not forget that Thomas did work for the Mets which could explain a few things

    ReplyDelete