Wednesday, June 24, 2009

David Price! Superstar!

Are you the ace that they say you are?

(You're welcome, anyone familiar with Jesus Christ Superstar)

In all seriousness, I don't doubt that David Price can be great, but I think everyone got a little burnt out on him in October. If they didn't, they should've. Buster Olney seriously compared him to Tiger Woods last year. I kid you not. And that was just going into the World Series. Then in the World Series he gave up 2 runs in 3.1 innings yet still probably finished a close 2nd for MVP behind Cole.

So this season he was probably predicted to become their ace sometime around April 14th, and he has not been bad. And maybe he is really good and the Phillies are just that much better. We'll go with that because it seems like the most fun.

But who really cares about David Price anyway. It's the AL which isn't real baseball. As they say in Little Big League:
"Do you know how hard it is to manage?"
"It's the American League, they got the DH, how hard can it be?"
Although unrelated to this, the point is the AL is stupid.

Somehow we managed to take a week off and we're still 2.5 games up on the Mets. And the Marlins are only 3 games back. As I've said in the past, I am more concerned about the Marlins than the Mets. And I think the past week is a good example of why. While the Phillies weren't playing baseball, the Mets went 4-6 over their last 10 games while the Marlins went 7-3. Is New York really that interesting in October that following baseball would just be too much?

My final thoughts for the night because I should be in bed:
What does John Mayberry have to do to play? I'm going to ignore the 3 games in which he pinch hit for the following stats. He's played in 5 games and gone 7 for 21, a .333 batting average. He has 2 doubles, 3 home runs, and 7 RBI. In 5 games. Is this a joke? Can we please play him? I have a bad feeling about the next 2 days because we're facing right-handed starters. You know Matt Stairs will be in the lineup somewhere. Let's just hope it's at DH with Mayberry in the outfield. But I feel Stairs will be in left with Dobbs DHing. Mayberry's earned it, so let's just let him play.

2 comments:

  1. Did Jimmy Rollins not know that Pat Burrell is the slowest runner on the face of the earth? Why didn't he throw to first? Down 1 turns into down 6. JRoll needs to be benched. I'm all for bringing up Jason Donald when he's healthy again.

    I'm taking a personal oath - I will check the lineup before I turn on the game. If JRoll is leading off, I'm not watching. I'm tired of his act and sick of Charlie not changing things up. It is killing this team. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't figure out if the Phils are doing this on purpose to try and spice things up in the NL east so they don't have such a big lead? Or to just let the Mets think they are close to us and then rip the rug from underneath them? Either way it's hard to tell because after we lose they look pretty annoyed. So either we have great actors on our team or this might be for real.

    Either way not worried.

    I heard from an inside source, Deepesphagus, that Jason Donald is done for the season with a torn meniscus. Hopefully this is just a rumor and plans come to action

    ReplyDelete