Tuesday, June 30, 2009

So Many Things

I just got on here to update and saw that there was a new comment on the last entry concerning the lack of updates. The reason updates haven't happened is because I was busy this weekend and then I came home on Sunday where there is actually stuff to do. But I did tell at least one person that my plan was to update after the game tonight because I would have time. So, a few things:

I agree with everything that Dukes said about the game tonight. If you didn't look at the comments on the last entry, you can do so now and see my basic feelings. Great observation about the last pitch of the game, I would not have caught on to that. But I would definitely like to reiterate James Calvin Rollins (which is what I will be referring to him as for the time being) and his awfulness. I said before the game that if he swung at the first pitch of the game I would turn it off even if he got a hit, including a home run. He managed to hold back on that first at bat, but in his 2nd or 3rd he grounded out on the first pitch. And that occurred in an inning when Derek Lowe ended up throwing more than 30 pitches. So imagine is James Calvin looks at a few more pitches and rather than weakly grounding out to 2nd he actually gets a hit. I won't dare mention him drawing a walk because that's completely out of the question at this point. His strikeout in his 5th at bat was horrible, but at least it was on a full count. Sadly, this is what my opinion of James Calvin as come to. I am celebrating a full count.

I truly can't stand the guy anymore. I am over his attitude. I like a guy who has fun and smiles and all that, but he gets a little out of hand considering how bad he is. He sits out for 4 games and we get to see a bunch of shots of him joking around in the process. That's great if he actually relaxes, forgets how bad he is doing, and comes back and performs. But no, he's the same piece of crap he was before. And I am not hating on James because of a slump. Yes, it's extremely frustrating to have an automatic out in the 1 spot of our lineup. But the reason I am so unforgiving is his whole demeanor. I still have a sour taste in my mouth from his comments on Best Damn Sports Show Period last year about the fans. It's one thing to comment on that if you're backing up your fellow players, but he said it completely because he was struggling and couldn't back up any of the talking he does.

I've really had enough of him. If we can trade him, do it. Yeah.

One other thing that upset me about this game that seems to be a constant this season is Jayson Werth's defense. His lack of effort contributed to a leadoff triple in the 3rd inning that scored a run. His error in the 8th may not have caused a run to score but it certainly didn't do much to prevent it.

Pedro Feliz had a great game. He played fantastic defense and hit what should have been the game-winning home run.

In other news, the Phillies have named the starter for Thursday's game since Bastardo has been put on the DL. And it's JA Happ. Are you kidding me? The Phillies can't win at home. The Mets are right now 3 games back. They are coming to Citizens Bank this weekend. We will need a 5th starter for that series. Put all of this together and what do we have? Well, rather than have someone (looking like Carrasco) come up for 1 start or so and pitch against the Braves in Atlanta, we're going to have them face the 2nd or 3rd place Mets in Philadelphia where we can't win. And we'll have Happ, coming off a complete game shutout throwing 100 pitches, pitch in Atlanta rather than the higher pressure Mets series. WHAT MAKES SENSE ABOUT THIS??

Speaking of the Mets, though, that last paragraph is the last time you will see me refer to where they are in the standings. Why? I'm glad you asked. http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4298658&categoryid=2521705
That should help explain. I'm referring to the series of errors that occurs late in that "highlight" reel. And they left out the best error of the night for the Mets. On what was essentially a routine fly ball to left center field, this is what happened:


He was not running for that ball. He just fell while walking backwards.
And while our Phillies have been completely tanking against the American League, the Mets have now lost 5 straight games. So this is why I am no longer concerned about them in the standings. They are not a real threat to us. They're the Mets.
(With all of this being said, I know that is not what the Phillies management is thinking, so starting Happ Thursday instead of against the Mets this weekend still makes no sense)

Finally, here are the 3 things I am tired of hearing about:
1) James Calvin Rollins getting better. Does not appear to be happening ever
2) Us losing at home. "There's really no explanation," said Every Reporter/Commentator/Analyst. So stop asking people for explanations!
3) Trading for a pitcher. I like Ruben Amaro, Jr. less and less every time I have to read his quote about saying "pretty please." I see a new article on phillies.com or espn.com every single day that essentially says the same thing. We get it. No pitchers right now. We'll wait. Tell us when the wait is up.

Unfortunately, I don't know how much updating I will get to do over the next month really. I have a job coming up that is basically a 24/7 thing, so updates will be much less than they were for the first few months of the season. But I will definitely do my best. Just giving everyone that heads up. Thanks for the support though

No comments:

Post a Comment